The Rosin Technique is a game changer in the world of cannabis extractions. If you don’t have the machinery to produce shatter like they do in laboratory’s then the Rosin Technique is for you. This new technique produces solvent-less extract using only household appliances. Let’s dive deeper into the world of Rosin Tech and learn how to make some of our own!
What Is It?
Rosin Tech is a cutting-edge (yet amazingly simple) method of cannabinoid extraction. The extraction process involves pressing nugs of cannabis between parchment paper with a heat press to extract the valuable cannabinoids.
“Rosin” yield depends upon 4 things:
- Amount of Time Pressed
- Amount of Force Applied
- Size/Weight of nug(s)
How Does It Work?
Rosin Tech takes advantage of two key points, heat and pressure. The combination of heat and pressure imposed on a bud causes the trichomes to melt and collect on the parchment paper, leaving you with a wax-like product. The acquired resin is considered “pure” by many cannabis extraction experts and here’s why:
- There is no unwanted plant matter in the product since the combustion temperature for cannabis is 932-1292 °F and the press is getting nowhere near that level of heat.
- Unlike solvent-extracted oils and waxes, there were no solvents blasted into the cannabis to separate the cannabinoids from the plant matter. Thus, there are no solvents in the final product. Rosin Tech insures that you are free of inhaling secondary solvents left over from a faulty purge.
Make Your Own
- Parchment Paper
- Heated-Press (Hair Straightener)
- Place a thumb sized nug on a piece of parchment paper, folding the parchment paper so that the nug is enclosed.
- Turn on your heated press and wait for it to reach the optimal temperature* of 325 °F
- Once the press reaches 325 °F, place the enclosed nug in between the press. If you don’t own a press that has temperature settings, you can check the temperature of your press by using a laser temp-gun.
- Once you’re ready, apply as much force as possible on the press until you hear a sizzle (roughly 3 seconds). After you hear the sizzle, wait .2 – .5 seconds to relieve the press.
- Check for rosin! There should be an oily looking resin around where the bud was placed. Scrape it up and enjoy dabbing it!
*The optimal temperature varies based upon how much pressure is applied on the press and for how long. Most people opt to press their nugs for 3 seconds at 325 °F. With that being said, feel free to experiment with other temps. and times, who knows what you’ll end up with!
But wait, what do you do about this stamped out bud!? The awesome part about Rosin Tech is that you get the most out of your herb. While the Rosin’d bud may not be the most potent in all the land, it can still be vaporized or smoked like any other of your fine greens. The pressed bud won’t be as potent or as tasty as a fresh nug but it still has some medicinal value to it!
- Quick and Simple Process
- Solvent-less Product
- Relatively Safe Extraction Process
- Using Rosin Tech on lesser-grade hash has the potential to purify the hash, separating the desired cannabinoids from solvent.
- Rosin has been reported to yield product with THC contents around 10%-33% when performed with amateur equipment such as a hair straightener, significantly less than most solvent extracts.
Rosin Tech is a cheap, efficient method for producing solvent-free extracts. All you need is a hair straightener and some of the devil’s lettuce and you can be making your own rosin in no time.
Written by: Brad Coyle
-Edited by: Patrick Thompson